What Makes the East Bay College Fund Scholarship Unique?
East Bay College Fund is much more than a scholarship.
While many programs have focused on getting students into college, since our inception East Bay College Fund has been perfecting our in-college graduation services. Our goal is to provide authentic, sustained, accountable support and mentoring from high school through college graduation. We empower, educate and ultimately change lives through the commitment of our strong network of community partners and dedicated volunteers.
Our graduation rate is above 80% (compared to less than 30% for this demographic nationally) because of the support services that we provide throughout college.
Who we serve: East Bay College Fund seeks public high school students who are often overlooked in the scholarship process. Focus is on students in significant financial need with GPA’s between 3.0 and 3.7, who have overcome personal or family difficulties while achieving strong academic records.
How we do it:
- Great Expectations Scholarship Program are substantial four-year $16,000 scholarships ($4,000/year) for any 4-year accredited college or university in the United States. Most scholarship programs provide only one-year awards.
- New Launch Scholarship Program are two-year $2,000 scholarships for students entering Career and Technical Education (CTE) program at community colleges.
- East Bay College Fund uses a “Leaders Develop Leaders” approach to scaling services in helping students acculturate and succeed in the college environment. Since 2011, we have grown 400%, with reduced costs per students, and maintained college graduation rates that are 4x the national average for our demographic at 80%.
- East Bay College Fund has a well-established mentoring program with adult community members providing support from the end of a student’s senior year in high school to college graduation.
- East Bay College Fund’s College Crews program provides peer mentoring and support groups on several college campuses throughout the Bay Area.
- East Bay College Fund professional counselors provides college guidance, personal support, and life skills workshops for its scholars.
- East Bay College Fund provides a community of support through high expectations, semi-annual retreats for both mentors and scholars, and scholar leadership initiatives.
- 100% of scholarship-designated funds go directly to students. Administrative funds are raised separately.
- Donors can participate as part of a donor group that funds a four-year scholarship. People of widely varying means can help support East Bay College Fund youth.
- Donors may name their scholarships and develop close relationships with their Scholars, if desired. Donors know their investment in a college education is supported by comprehensive support services.